Pages

Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Goose confusion





Went to Rainham both on Sunday 14th and Monday 15th February. I saw 2 Geese there on both days. On the Monday they were Pink-footed Geese, a very good London tick but on the previous day I, and everybody else, thought they were Tundra Bean Geese, which would be an excellent London tick and a useful year tick.

After talking to the RSPB, it seems that everybody was seeing what they wanted/expected to see on the Sunday and they were in fact Pink feet then too. Fair enough. But it has not turned out to be that simple . . .

People are saying that the RSPB told them that the Sunday geese definitely were Beans and the Monday Pink feet were fresh in. I phoned the RSPB up to see if this was not a misunderstanding and they hadn't changed their mind but they stuck more-or-less with the same story that they gave me.

People are still saying that the Sunday geese were Bean, though (and I'd love it if they were) but my terrible photographs from the Sunday show geese with Pink legs and the same difference of tail pattern between the two birds (importantly, one has a very wide white terminal band), which I also observed on the Sunday.

Confused? Bored? Not in the least interested? Well if you are vaguely interested then take a look at the photos at the top of the post and let me know if you agree with me, that the Sunday birds (which many maintain are Tundra Bean) were Pink-feet, or not . . .