Sunday 3 January 2010

Staines

Arrived at Staines Moor at about 9.20am this morning, confident that I would be able to add the long staying 1st winter Brown Shrike to my year list, but completely and utterly failed.

Did however locate a single Water Pipit, a Kingfisher and a Cetti's Warbler which were all nice year ticks. The Kingfisher gave pretty good views. Shame about the Shrike.

Moving on to Staines Reservoirs, I enjoyed the wintering female/immature Scaup on the north basin and a Black-necked Grebe on the south basin, a couple of useful year ticks out of the way. A Common Sandpiper was a pleasant surprise, Goldeneyes, as always, were lovely and I got a series of other year ticks too.Driving home through Sutton I saw one of the resident Peregrines on their favourite corner of the Reed Building.

The year list is now on 86.