Wednesday 15 November 2017

Goring, 15th November 2017

Today saw a brief inaugural visit to Goring as my new patch (see the previous post) and, despite being shrouded in fog, it turned out to be quite a productive visit and I left very excited about the patching prospects ahead. Within the first couple of minutes of scanning from the Worthing Sailing Club, near the east end of my boundary, I picked up a Red-necked Grebe on the sea a couple of hundred metres out. I can count how many Red-neckeds I've ever seen on one hand so was delighted to find my own. Later on, at the Gap itself, a Black-throated Diver was feeding about the same distance offshore and local birder Clive arrived just in time to see it.

The wader roost comprised of 59 Grey Plovers, 51 Ringed Plovers and 79 Dunlins but only eight Sanderlings and 11 Turnstones; a slightly weary looking adult Dark-bellied Brent Goose and nine Mediterranean Gulls shared the same field. A further 14 Brents tracked west offshore, where other highlights (when visibility improved!) included 46 Red-breasted Mergansers, five Red-throated Divers, 26 Great Crested Grebes, four Razorbills, five Guillemots and two Gannets. Two Skylarks, a Linnet, a couple of Meadow Pipits and two Goldcrests were also noted during the brief visit.

Red-necked Grebe
Mediterranean, Common and Black-headed Gulls
adult Dark-bellied Brent Goose