Monday 23 July 2018

Goring and West Worthing

It felt like a very quiet session this morning and I didn't think I'd be coming home with any particular highlight - though it was nice to catch up with Gareth J who joined me for a while. There's almost always something to define the outing though, even if it's not rare. Today it was a fine male Stonechat which flew behind me and briefly alighted at the seaward end of the Plantation, just behind my vismig point! I wasn't expecting the first of the autumn for a little while... A flock of nine Shelducks flying west was also noteworthy, and three Common Scoters flew past. Also offshore were seven Gannets, two Lesser Black-backed Gulls, eight Sandwich Terns and five Mediterranean Gulls. Four Little Egrets were on the beach and a juvenile Green Woodpecker was noted. I logged four Swallows and two Swifts west and Gareth had another Swallow. There were 22 local Swifts over the garden in West Worthing late evening.

male Stonechat