Thursday 24 January 2019

High Brede Wood, East Guldeford and Rye Harbour

A post of the SOS website the other day piqued my curiosity to visit Brede High Wood so I headed there this morning. Right next to the car park was a brilliantly noisy flock of 28 Crossbills, though in the couple of hours I wandered around the site I found only 12 Siskins and no redpolls, let alone a monster flock to work through. Three Treecreepers, 30 Redwings, four Marsh Tits and four Bullfinches were among the other birds noted.

Crossbills at High Brede Wood

A brief visit to East Guldeford secured views of Tree Sparrow before I visited Rye Harbour. First up was the Long Pit, where two Black-necked Grebes showed nicely at the south end. The pit also held two Goldeneyes and 106 Pochards. I positioned myself on the Castle Water viewpoint for the last couple of hours of the day, seeing a Barn Owl, a Great White Egret, three Little Egrets, three Fieldfares, three Marsh Harriers (including an adult male) and a roost of some 600 Cormorants. Also noted on site were seven Water Rails (one of which showed very well in a wet field), a Cetti's Warbler, 40 Golden Plovers, 300 Lapwings, a Bullfinch, two Egyptian Geese, a Kingfisher and two Reed Buntings. But no Bittern!

Tree Sparrow at East Guldeford
 
Black-necked Grebes at Rye Harbour