Sunday 17 March 2019

Goring Gap, West Worthing and Newhaven

This morning's seawatch off Goring Gap wasn't too bad, with a Great Northern Diver making its way west, while two Mute Swans and two Sandwich Terns headed in the opposite direction. Backup came in the form of two Common Scoters, 45 Red-breasted Mergansers (mostly flying west), nine Great Crested Grebes, seven Gannets, two Mediterranean Gulls and nine Common Gulls. Six Meadow Pipits flew west and two Ringed Plovers and an Oystercatcher flew along the beach.

As I got through the door at home another Meadow Pipit called overhead.

I was getting some miscellaneous work done at home later when news came through of a Red-necked Grebe in Newhaven harbour. This is a species I hope I'll get at Goring this year but time's beginning to run a little short for the spring window of opportunity, so I dashed over there once I'd finished lunch. Alas, there was no sign of the bird, only five Great Crested Grebes, two Turnstones and an Oystercatcher.