Sunday 12 April 2020

West Worthing and Goring Gap

I could hear several groups of Mediterranean Gulls moving east along the coast from my garden this morning but couldn't see any of them. A couple of Linnets flew over.

Then I cycled to Goring Gap, where Mediterranean Gulls were moving through over the beach. I didn't stay and count them continuously but logged a bare minimum of 85 that happened to be in ear/eyeshot during my walk. It was pleasing to hear singles of Whimbrel, Grey Plover and Dunlin over the beach but I couldn't latch onto any of these in the clear skies. Other birds during my visit included a Treecreeper, 15 Linnets, five Meadow Pipits, a Whitethroat and a Little Egret. 11 Dark-bellied Brent Geese flew east in a flock. An interesting glimpse into the life of Stock Doves came when I saw two birds bowing at a tense looking individual, which instead of sneaking away flapped at its admirers then mounted one of them twice!

Mediterranean Gulls over Goring Gap

Little Egret at Goring Gap