Wednesday 30 December 2020

Lyminster, Goring Gap and Worthing

Typically last-minute for me, I completed my first of the season's two Sussex Winter Bird Survey visits to my square at Broomhurst Farm, Lyminster. The Lapwing flock wasn't as big as normal but still numbered 75 birds, while a Water Rail, two Cetti's Warblers, three Little Egrets, four Red Kites, two Stonechats, six Reed Buntings, a Treecreeper and a Mistle Thrush were among some of the other birds noted.

A quick stop at Goring Gap at lunchtime was disappointing for gulls again, with just two adult Mediterranean Gulls for me, along with a small handful of roosting Ringed Plover and Dunlin.

The most memorable moment of the day by far came when I got home to find a Song Thrush in the house. After quickly fitting it with a ring, it went on its way quite happily.