Monday 9 August 2010

patching




Hobby

My first early rise for local patching for a pretty long time now and 10 hours and 24 minutes of hard searching (I know you probably think I'm mad putting that much time into a site without water in a land locked county in August) with nothing even locally scarce to show for it but migration was in evidence with at least 2 Willow Warblers, 8 Common Whitethroats, 8 Chiffchaffs, 4 Blackcaps, c.12 House Martins and a Swallow (many of which would be migrants). A Common Buzzard and a family of Sparrowhawks also brightened up the day. A good variety of woodland birds, some of which have been quite undetectable lately such as Goldcrest, Treecreeper and Nuthatch were on show.

Willow Warbler

The highlight was again the very obliging and very predictable Hobby which I just cannot get enough of, I got a whole new set of photos today in better light and with the bird at a variety of angles. Scope views were simply brilliant.

Goldcrest

Bullfinch