Friday 21 September 2018

Adur Estuary and The Burgh

I've driven past the Adur Estuary probably hundreds of times now but it was only early this afternoon that I paid it a visit, my curiosity piqued by recent reports. I soon located the juvenile Curlew Sandpiper which had been found by locals in recent days - my first in Britain this year! - and a nice supporting cast of waders included two Greenshanks, a Whimbrel, a Common Sandpiper, 19 Ringed Plovers and 12 Dunlin. A Rock Pipit flew over.

juvenile Curlew Sandpiper on the Adur Estuary

I then headed to The Burgh but it was hella windy, as it always seems to be when I go there, and I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to stay for very long, though my short visit did produce a Hobby, two Ravens, a Sparrowhawk, several Kestrels and a couple of Red Kites, plus a few House Martins and Swallows moving through.