Sunday 23 September 2018

Brooklands Park, Goring Gap, Adur Estuary and Widewater Lagoon

The weather was horrendous but with loads of displaced Grey Phalaropes reported around southern Britain recently I thought the lake at Brooklands Park was surely worth a check. There were no phalaropes to be seen but I did note three Sand Martins, a Swallow, 90 House Martins, a Little Grebe, a Grey Wagtail and four Teal. Two Kingfishers in chase were the highlight though. Once the rain eased off I took myself to Goring Gap, where a short vigil around midday produced five Wheatears, 43 Meadow Pipits, 524 House Martins, a Chiffchaff, two Swallows, three Sandwich Terns, a Gannet, two Common Gulls, a Goldcrest and a Skylark.

En route to picking Ingrid up in Brighton, I paid the Adur Estuary another brief visit. There wasn't as much around as the other day but I did note a Little Egret, five Oystercatchers, two Lapwings, 25 Ringed Plovers, seven Dunlin, eight House Martins, a Kestrel and a Meadow Pipit among others. Calling in at Widewater Lagoon, another new site for me, I noted 16 House Martins, two Little Egrets, five Little Grebes and three Meadow Pipits.