Saturday 30 April 2011

Beddington Bird Race

Tree Sparrow

After checking Canons this morning (which, as expected, produced very little), I made my way to Beddington to take part in their annual bird race. Highlights included a Wood Sandpiper, a Curlew, four Greenshanks, a Ringed Plover and a pair of Little Ringed Plovers. I put in six and a half hours (mainly in one spot) but only got 47 species, with many notable omissions such as Wren, all tits etc. My plan for tomorrow is to do Canons again until mid-morning then pay Wisley a visit. Congratulations to Tank on finding the Wood Sands!

Ringed Plover (left) with LRP


Greenshank

Next week I intend to spend a day mapping out, to the best of my ability, all breeding bird territories at Canons Farm and another doing the same for Banstead Woods as I recognise that breeding information is something that is lacking in the soon-to-be-published CFBW Bird Report 2010, and want this very important area to be much clearer in the 2011 Report.