Monday 14 January 2013

Golden year tick


Click the cog and select 1080p and switch to full screen mode for best viewing - think I got all eleven birds in this clip!

I on my way out of the farm early this afternoon when a final check of the fields produced a surprise in the form of a flock of eleven Golden Plovers in Skylark Field. Quite a remarkable sight really as I don't think I've seen a flock of more than five birds at the patch before, and the only grounded birds in recent years have been singles in 2011 and 2012 so this flock was obviously more than noteworthy. I guess the recent drop in temperature combined with the heavy rain and snow today caused these birds to move then come down. In the same field as the Lapwings yesterday, there must be some appeal there. Unfortunately the light was crap, I was sodden and snow and rain was falling from the sky so the pictures aren't the best I could have got in better conditions. They stayed until at least 4.05pm and were twitched by Roy, Neil and Cliff.