Monday 12 February 2018

Falmouth, Dozmary Pool, East Budleigh and Blashford Lakes

My plan for the morning was scuppered as soon as Liam and I managed to lock ourselves out of his flat the previous night, leaving my car keys, phone and other essentials out of reach. After an aimless stroll around Falmouth, producing three Blackcaps and a Rock Pipit, things were sorted out mid-morning and I made tracks. My first stop-off was Dozmary Pool, where the adult drake Lesser Scaup showed distantly. So far, so good. Next was East Budleigh - I spent a quite pleasant but slightly awkward hour hanging around the village. A nice set of garden birds included a male Blackcap but sadly no Italian Sparrow. I may have to return. Time was running out in order to get to Blashford Lakes for the gull roost. Arriving on site to see Franko and Dom P scanning from the mound behind the Tern Hide, the target gull had not been seen and the light was fading. It was a huge relief when I picked the 2CY 'THAYER'S GULL' out on a distant island on Ibsley Water. I'd like to see it better, so may double in up with the sparrow for another trip southwest. Many Pintails and a handful of Goosanders and Goldeneyes were present on the lake, but was concentrating too hard on the gulls to count them, and three Yellow-legged Gulls were in the roost.

adult drake Lesser Scaup

2CY Thayer's Gull in the melee