Sunday 24 June 2018

Canons Farm and Banstead Woods

A pleasant donder around the patch today. I met up with Darragh C at Canons Farmhouse and we strolled up the lane; he joined me a short distance into Banstead Woods before heading home and I carried on exploring the downland edges for butterflies. A Small Blue, three White-letter Hairstreaks, two Dark Green Fritillaries, many Marbled Whites and my first Ringlets of the year ensured that it was a fruitful session. Bird highlights were single Red Kites over both the Woods and Canons, as well as a feeding frenzy of 45 Swifts over Perrotts by Wood. A flock of five Grey Herons flew west over the farm. There were fledgling Whitethroats at the farm, where four Yellowhammers were singing, and family groups of Nuthatches were at both sites. I heard five Treecreepers in Banstead Woods.

male Kestrel at Canons Farm

Dark Green Fritillary at Banstead Woods

Small Blue at Banstead Woods

Large Skipper at Banstead Woods