Saturday 14 July 2018

Goring and Norfolk Bridge, Sheffield

Astounding news came through last night of an Audouin's Gull in the middle of Sheffield. I half-thought about what to do about it then somehow completely forgot the matter and continued with my routine, getting up early this morning for my vigil at Goring Gap. At the patch, singles of Meadow Pipit and Pied Wagtail flew over, along with two Swifts, and other birds included four Little Egrets, a Grey Heron, a Sandwich Tern, two adult Mediterranean Gulls and three Oystercatchers. A quick look at my phone revealed the Audouin's Gull was again present early knockings and I panicked, cycling back home to get in the car. By about half way up to Sheffield, I'd decided the whole thing was a stupid idea and this marine gull was bound to have moved on in search of more suitable habitat. However, having made a good chunk of the journey I stuck it out and arrived in Sheffield late morning. I gave it about four hours (not wishing to potentially wait another five on the off-chance it would reappear in the evening), only made bearable by meeting up with the lovely Paul W and junior, who kindly showed me a juvenile Dipper that was feeding a little up the way from the bridge. A rather appropriate species to be seeing today...! Aside from this treat, the only 'notable' entries in my notebook were 10 Sand Martins and a Grey Wagtail.

juvenile Dipper at Norfolk Bridge