Tuesday 12 February 2019

Pagham Harbour

Church Norton had a Firecrest and a Chiffchaff in the bushes near the car park, while I saw the wintering Whimbrel for the first time this year from the benches. The tide was low, but waders included a Knot, 85 Grey Plovers, nine Ringed Plovers, 800 Lapwings, 47 Oystercatchers, 300 Dunlin and 13 Turnstones. Making my way along the spit, I viewed across the harbour mouth and thanks to over-the-phone directions from Nick and Gareth connected with the Hooded Crow - a bird I thought I'd lucked out on this year. A Sandwich Tern fishing offshore was a pleasant surprise, and other highlights included a pair of Peregrines, five Mediterranean Gulls, seven, Little Grebes, 270 Dark-bellied Brent Geese, seven Pintail, 150 Teal, 50 Wigeon, 56 Shelducks, two Meadow Pipits, five Skylarks, and singles of Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Little Egret and Reed Bunting. A Sparrowhawk flew over the car as I drove out through Sidlesham.

Hooded Crow (left) with Carrion Crow

Whimbrel