Friday 26 July 2019

Ashburnham Place, Horse Eye Level and Adur Estuary

The morning was spent with Christian, him showing me the grounds of his beautiful new workplace, Ashburnham Place. Two Firecrests, a Kingfisher, four House Martins, four Marsh Tits, a Buzzard, a Sparrowhawk, a Siskin, two Grey Wagtails, five Pied Wagtails, six Swallows and a couple of Green Woodpeckers were the best, alongside a healthy scattering of Treecreepers, Bullfinches, Nuthatches, Goldcrests, Coal Tits, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps.

As I was in the area, I stopped off to look for last week's reported Red-backed Shrike again on the levels north of Rickney. This time I made it to the correct area, and I gave it a reasonable amount of time, but there was no sign of any shrike. Two Ravens displaced a Peregrine from one of the pylons, while 15 Cormorants were sat atop a neighbouring pylon. Eight Meadow Pipits, three Reed Warblers, four Buzzards, a Whitethroat and a Kestrel were also seen.

As I was driving home, in the slow traffic along the A27 I spotted a large wader on the Adur just below the bridge. I couldn't resist stopping off and it turned out to be a lovely adult Black-tailed Godwit. A Whimbrel was more distant, and other birds included three Little Egrets, 15 adult Mute Swans, two Oystercatchers, a Pied Wagtail and two Swallows.

Black-tailed Godwit on Adur Estuary