Sunday 18 October 2020

Stiffkey, Holme and Thornham Harbour

 Mag and I were heading to Spurn for a week and took the chance to divert to north Norfolk to mop up on a few birds. Most pressing was the RUFOUS BUSH CHAT which showed nicely out on the saltmarsh at Stiffkey. For various reasons I've barely been able to go for any of the major rarities this autumn but this is the bird I cared most about, so I'm very glad I managed to sneak over there... Seven Red Kites over the saltmarsh was the highest number I've seen in Norfolk and a Kingfisher flew along a channel. We then popped in to Holme where we enjoyed good views of a Red-flanked Bluetail near the village car park (five Lesser Redpolls and 30 Redwings there too) and finally to Thornham Harbour, where the Pallas's Warbler fed in the low bushes without a care for the small crowd surrounding it.