Wednesday 25 November 2020

Brooklands Park, Ashdown Forest, Adur Estuary

A visit to Brooklands Park this morning saw me notch up my 100th species within the Worthing 10km circle during Lockdown #2, the faithful drake Pochard who is back for another lonely winter on the otherwise Aythya-free zone that is the Brooklands lake. Two Chiffchaffs and eight Goldcrests were in the bushes. Two Little Grebes, five Teal and the family of Mute Swans were also present. I learned that the smallest cygnet, which I'd presumed to have perished, was actually taken into care and ended up being released in London.

I had business in Crowborough so stopped at Wren's Warren in the Ashdown Forest for a quick walk afterwards, though I had nothing of note besides 11 Lesser Redpolls.

On the way I popped in to the Adur Estuary toll bridge and was delighted to find that there is now a permanent coffee and cake stall in the parking area. I scanned through the gulls and waders - cappuccino and brownie in hand - and counted two Grey Plovers, two Oystercatchers, 105 Lapwings, 19 Dunlin, 11 Redshank, a Lesser Black-backed Gull, 20 Great Black-backed Gulls, two Little Egrets and a Grey Wagtail.