Saturday 7 November 2020

Brooklands Park, Goring and Worthing

It was a busy morning at Brooklands Park, mostly with birds flying over. Goldfinches, in particular, were on the move. I missed the big numbers as the larger flocks were hugging the coastline, as I realised when I eventually made it to that side of the park! But I did notch up over 800. Other vismig highlights included two Crossbills, three Grey Wagtails, 25 redpolls, 50 Siskins, five Skylarks, a Reed Bunting, 11 Linnets, 18 Chaffinches, 21 Meadow Pipits and 12 Pied/White Wagtails. A pair of Gadwall on the lake was a pleasant surprise. At least one Kingfisher was hurtling around and three Cetti's Warblers were in voice. Also on the lake were two Little Grebes, nine Teal and five Mute Swans (the female with her four surviving cygnets). Two Coal Tits, two Great Spotted Woodpeckers, a Green Woodpecker, a Sparrowhawk and a Kestrel were also noted. A Firecrest was waiting by my car when I was getting ready to leave.

Given the easterly airflow, which often delivers Casps, I headed to Goring Gap in anticipation but drew a blank. There were nine Turnstones, a Mediterranean Gull, a Lesser Black-backed Gull, four Skylarks and a Rook in the fields, though.

Back home, a Siskin flew north over the garden. Then, while helping Ingrid at the allotment at lunchtime I heard a Green Woodpecker, my first there and the closest I've had to the centre of Worthing.