Monday 20 September 2010

Two nice yank waders

Wilson's Phalarope

Having not seen a White-rumped Sandpiper in about a year and getting only flight views of the Grove Ferry Wilson's Phalarope a week or two ago, I asked my parents if they'd mind taking me down to that part of Kent on Sunday after a quick check of Canons Farm. They answered positively.

White-rumped Sandpiper

Oare, being closer, was the first port of call. I scanned the East Flood from the road for about fifteen minutes, pulling out only a Curlew Sandpiper before walking towards the East Hide to see whether I could locate the White-rumped from that angle. A couple of other birders joined me but we couldn't find the bird. Just as they were walking off the White-rumped Sandpiper walked into my view and I shouted them over, more people gathered.

White-rumped Sandpiper

After enjoying the bird on and off for a while, I got back in the car and we headed to Grove Ferry. I was greeted at the viewing mound my 'it went out of view five minutes ago', a phrase which it seems most have heard when twitching this particular bird.

left to right: Spotted Redshank, Green Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalarope

I waited with the small crowd for a fair amount of time, before getting fed up and scoping the people standing by the Harrison Hide who looked like they might have been on something. I made my way over there and a man asked me whether I could identify the two waders in his scope, I could and they were the WILSON'S PHALAROPE and a Spotted Redshank! I phoned the news out to RBA straight away so the birders at the mound could come and have a look. It was very satisfying to get much better views of the Wilson's than last time and it gave excellent size comparisons to nearby Spotted Redshank, Ruff and Green Sandpipers.

After dinner in the Grove Ferry Inn, we headed home. Thanks for the lift dad.