Monday 10 October 2011

October so far

One of the best birding months and thankfully (in a way) it's been rather quiet so far. My (and my dad's) bank account and education need a break from twitching for a while so I'm glad the mega alerts on the pager have either been birds I don't need, or ones that I don't really need to worry too much about. Wilson's Snipe on Scilly was one of these alerts and fits into the latter category, I reckon this bird will hang around until I reach the islands for my half term break - not so sure that the Upland Sandpiper will, but I can only hope . . .

Recent trips have seen me connect with my 2nd SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, my first local Spotted Crake and my fourth set of patch Crossbills this year. My parents accuse me of being idiotic for going out over the weekend despite being pretty ill (contributing to me staying at home today), but then they'll never understand why getting out and about in autumn is about as important to a birder as anything could get.