Saturday 15 October 2011

Red-flanked saves the day

When planning the twitch yesterday, Franko, Johnny and I were sceptical as to the chances of the Rufous-tailed Robin staying for us and, as we pretty much expected, we dipped today along with lots of others (including many familiar faces).

Migrants were pretty hard to come by and an on-spec trip to Wells Woods secured just a heard-only Yellow-browed Warbler, a small party of Crossbills and a couple of Chiffchaffs. I heard three Bramblings throughout the entire day and Siskins seemed to be almost always flying over in small numbers but that's about where the evidence of migration ended.

Much of the day was spent trying to secure decent views of the RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL at Holme; the bird was seen well in the end after a lot of effort put in by a lot of people. A nice bird, as birds always are, and I'm glad to finally catch up with one, having not even had to opportunity to try for (let alone connect with) any of the many that have turned up in the last few years. I got some crappy record shots which I may put up here if I find the time, but don't see much point (as you can't see much detail) so may not.

Britain Life List 320