Friday 25 May 2012

Summer ice

Sparrowhawk
A rather casual and relaxed day. I made a change this morning by starting at Banstead Woods. There wasn't much around but it was a nice walk, with a handful of interesting moments to make it worthwhile. Birdwise, a male Sparrowhawk perching nearby in a pine for a couple of minutes allowed a relatively uncommon photo opportunity. In terms of butterflies, I was pleased to see my first Grizzled Skipper, Small Copper (one of my favourites) and Common Blue of the year, plus Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, Brimstone etc.

Grizzled Skipper
Small Copper

Later in the day, I paid a brief late afternoon visit to Beddington, where the second calendar-year Iceland Gull showed well. A bit strange seeing it in the heat with flowers, butterflies and young birds all around. The Cetti's Warbler and a Reed Warbler sang close to the hide but didn't show.


Second calendar year Iceland Gull (possibly the Kumlien's that's worn over the last couple of months)